Monday, December 28, 2015

The Beginning of My Robotic Trading Career?

Made it back yesterday afternoon. I didn't take my good camera on this trip because I didn't want to deal with carrying it around everywhere, but I wish I had taken it. Chicago was pretty awesome. Frankenmuth (Michigan) was pretty nice as well, and I just would have taken some grand pictures as usual. 

Remember how I said the number 7 seems to like me? Well, I was in row 7 again on the flight home, and during a White Elephant ornament exchange my number was 7 as well. I laughed pretty hard when I unraveled the folded up scrap to see that number! By the way I got a purple stiletto ornament, which is fine by me!



On the flight home I watched a documentary called Billions In Change. I had downloaded it from YouTube months ago and was glad to finally watch it! Another great one, no depressing stuff at all so I highly recommend it!

Anyways, I have some news to announce. After months of effort and researching and emailing, I finally got a portfolio of robots. I have a funded TradeStation account to run them on as well. The offer being made is 5-9 robots for $3,000... So when I was emailed one file of code which had only one file to attach to a chart, I was a bit confused and feeling a little aggravated. Turns out the code is actually just one robot that has tweakable variables. You attach that same robot to every chart and tweak it into profitability. What you are really paying for is one robot and the hundreds (Reportedly) of hours Scott has spent tweaking these setting per each individual currency pair so you don't have to do it yourself. The good news out of all of this is, is that if you have the one File (Robot) you can attach it to any chart you want and tweak away until you discover a way to make it profitable at no further cost! That is something I may do in the future, but for now I have other problems. 

So, let me explain TradeStation to you a bit. It's a relatively sophisticated trading platform designed to robotic trading, but also has in depth features outside of that as well. It is very complex and I think I will be trying to get used to it for awhile. The good news so far, is that my dedicated computer that is already running 3 instances of MetaTrader 4 can also run TradeStation with the 10 robots as well. It has no problem so far. My main issue is that with all the the charts set up and trading, there seems to be a problem I can't figure out yet. The Strategy is taking analyzing the markets and all that correctly, but it's not actually executing trades in the simulated account for some reason. I'll need to fix that for sure. 

One other problem, or issue I'll need to address, is that my backtesting results aren't lining up with the results I was given. Naturally the thought arises that I got scammed somehow, but I haven't been convinced of that just yet. I think there may be some setting that got lost along the way...

Either way, to keep this short I'll say this: My goal is to get everything running smoothly and lining up with the info I was given, and then run the portfolio on the simulated account for at least a month or more, and see profitability. Then, I will go live with small position sizes to see if live trades execute in a manner that lines up with the simulated account. I will keep you posted on all of that as it happens, but I plan to be pretty busy with it and may not be posting about anything else for awhile. We'll see. 


No comments:

Post a Comment