Monday, January 5, 2015

Some testing results

First, here are some sweet pics of the sunset in colorado I took today. Also, accidents from yesterday in Illinois and Nebraska




















Fuckin sweet I know ;P

Ok, this was a real pain in the ass to do, but I went back through each trade that was made and implemented the martingale risk profile. Here is one minor detail I came to find out. Over the two month test period from January to February of 2013 the largest string of losses was 13 in a row. There is just no way to double your position size that many times so I had to make a rule. I could only have 5 losses and then I would start my position sizing over again. At my last size I would be trading $16/pip even though with a 10k account I could technically trade for about $40/pip after a string of losses that would need that size. Here is how my position sizing went.

-$10
-$20
-$40
-$80
-$160
-$10
etc...

I did get lucky and have a few strings finally win on the last trade before the reset for a win of +$240. If that had not happened and one more loss had occured, the results would be quite different I think. I will have to save my charts and make copies of them using different data points. That will be quite intensive because that guy who I emailed about updating the robot has basically ignored me. I don't have a clue what's going on with him.

Definitely make sure you download this chart so you can zoom in and see it. this is a comparison of the 289 trades during Jan and Feb of 2013. I wasn't super accurate with my placement of the box, but my goal was to place it at the start of each new daily bar and leave it the entire length of the day.

The top chart is with original static position sizes using $1/pip and the bottom one uses the martingale position sizing as mentioned above.

The area with the largest drawdowns are obviously the string of losses. Click HERE to download an html file of all the original trades from my Metatrader platform. There is also more interesting data in the file at the top. If it doesn't work let me know, but you should just be able to open in right up in your browser.

So... Although this strategy did end up at a 9% profit after 2 months, 289 trades is too small a sample size and too narrow a range of time for me to feel comfortable enough to put any stock in this just yet. I'd love to have at least a thousand trades, or run the numbers on a different position sizing method for the same trades. If I had a robot that could do it all for me it would be so much easier but damn... I am even willing to pay the guy and he just won't respond.

I'll keep you in the loop of any other data I happen to figure out. Until then I suppose I'll be hard at work.

-Francisco



No comments:

Post a Comment