Thursday, December 25, 2014

Promised update

During the last time I was out the robot lost 35 times in a row to bring a drawdown of  about 3.7%.

This dramatic string of losses came as a result of my choice to simply not take profits the entire time I was out. It was difficult, as there were plenty of chances to take a good amount of profits, but I stuck it out and the market ended up going down and reaching the profit ratio of 20:1 that I had entered into the robot long ago. I would leave it empty, but the parameters require a number.

Anyways, I said when I got the time I would go back and look at all the profits I could have accumulated during that week out so I took the time today. It was far too difficult for me to look at the charts and feel comfortable saying "I would have taken profit here and here and here." The truth is, that would be what we call "Hindsight Trading" and it's basically bullshit. So, what I decided to do instead is go over a scenario where I left the trading zone exactly where it actually was the whole time and simply take profits that where 1.5 times the risk.

The zone is 10 pips wide, so I would take profit at +15 pips. I also decided to see what it would look like with the martingale risk profile in place, meaning I double my position size (risk) for every loss.

Here is a chart of the all the action.






For you, it will be difficult to see all the entries and exits so you will simply have to trust my data. this chart is a 5min chart, but to get the entries I looked at a 1min chart and the actual account history. Now I did have to estimate some entries that the account simply did not have, but that is because IF the account were actually taking profit at 1.5 times risk, it would have entered a new position and therefor had a new loss in some instances. Below is chart I made with all the data on the right.






















As you can see, the drawdown is sharp, but only dipped below the starting equity 3 times. The final result was that instead of losing 3.4% I would have gained 6.7%  $11,432.00

So, with that in mind here is what I want to do to help me acquire more data: Instead of leaving the profit ratio at 20:1 I'll simply set the robot to take profit at 1.5:1 so that I can get realistic results on my entries and exits instead of having to look at charts and guess what they would be. Since the robot does not have the ability to implement the martingale risk on it's own it will stay at one size and then i will have to add that in manually during the week.

It will be difficult to watch the account balance continue to diminish because who wouldn't want to see it go up, but I'll have to accept that while this fake account will more than likely be losing money, I am gathering important data in an effort to be profitable in real life.

No comments:

Post a Comment